Don Scallen presenting on Tuesday November 15th!

The always engaging Don Scallen will be our speaker for the upcoming November 15th meeting! He will present an illustrated nature talk. A well known local naturalist, Don is a regular contributor to In the Hills magazine, and author of Nature — Where We Live. An autographed copy of his book will be given away as a door prize on November 15th.

I personally admire Don Scallen for exemplifying the theme of one of my favourite poems, in this case the last stanza of Robert Frost’s Two Tramps in Mud Time. Don is one of those remarkable people who delve so deeply into the richnesses of the natural world, and then reaches out so broadly to infect the rest of us with his sense of understanding and awe and wonder. For me, he admirably combines his former vocation as a teacher with his deep love of nature.

“But yield who will to their separation,
 My object in living is to unite
 My avocation and my vocation
 As my two eyes make one in sight.
 Only where love and need are one,
 And the work is play for mortal stakes,
 Is the deed ever really done
 For Heaven and the future’s sakes.”

Two Tramps in Mud Time, Robert Frost

Swaying in the breeze: Smilax herbacea, Smooth Carrionflower, Orangeville gravel pits

Interesting links I found during this past month

Here are some internet natural history links that I found personally interesting during the last month. Some of these links were sent to me by other folks with similar interests. Most I found by browsing my collections of websites that I glance through daily, or from focused-interest emails that I subscribe to and come to me on a daily or weekly basis.

Here are links sent by Phil Bird (CVC Specialist, Watershed Monitoring) for reporting and for data access to local detailed natural history information:  (These links are also in the middle of the earlier post about Phil’s talk)

How a quest for mathematical truth and complex models can lead to useless scientific predictions – new research.  Author: Arnald Puy

By fact-checking Thoreau’s observations at Walden Pond, we showed how old diaries and specimens can inform modern research  Author: Tara K. Miller

    • I’m fascinated with iNaturalist (and eBird, and the various other observation collection projects). I often focus on phenology, reporting what’s flowering in certain places at certain times, e.g., along the train tracks through Orangeville as the seasons change.

Why the spongy moth outbreak has vanished in Québec:  Author: Emma Despland

A Nature’s Viewer Code of Ethics: Do’s and Don’ts: Author: Noah Cole

Striking pictures reveal the microscopic world’s hidden wonders.

Microscopic Wonders

Rethinking children’s participation: the underappreciated role of adult catalysts – Cities4Children:  Author: Anupama Nallari

A most wondrous late Autumn!

      1 Comment on A most wondrous late Autumn!

Here are some images (dramatic, journalistic, and abstract) of this most wondrous late Autumn! (MW)

stormy sunrise from Mono Cliffs

A stormy sunrise from Mono Cliffs, with the clearing fog and showers. The scene changed every few seconds as the clearing spots scud across this marvellous glacial landscape!

lichen covered cliff

I’ve aways loved this lichen-covered cliff at Mono Cliffs, especially today in the warm lights of the clearing sunrise, with the bright wetness of the yellows lichens.

late-season Monarch butterfly

A near-perfect recently-hatched Monarch butterfly in Mono Centre that surely needs to head south immediately!

possible aphid on thumb

A possible winged aphid on my thumb

Greater Yellowlegs in flight

I loved the reflection of this Greater Yellowlegs at Luther Marsh!

three Autumn Meadowhawk dragonflies lined up

Autumn Meadowhawks seemed to be everywhere basking in the sunshine on this warm and windy day at Luther Lake (and elsewhere)!

Virginia Ctenucha moth caterpillar

Ctenucha virginica caterpillar, Virginia Ctenucha day-flying moth, with the red-orange head and the brilliant contrast of the rows of black spiny hairs against the yellow hairs!

European Paper Wasp on yellow goldenrod

European Paper Wasp (Vespula dominula) on yellow goldenrod, both still living, though the wasp was sluggish …

Smooth Carrionflower tendrils in sunlight

Smooth Carrionflower (Smilax herbaria) tendrils

maple leaf shadows on smooth beech trunk

Shadows of Sugar Maple leaves on the smooth grey bark of American Beech (still relatively free of the terrible beech bark disease)

1 2 3 16